Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Parting thoughts on leaving Yaroslavl

There is so much to be said about my program in Russia, but to sum my program up in one word I would say incredible. The people I worked with played a major role in making the program such a success. The translators – Asya, Katya, and Olga – are fabulous. I have so much respect for these three women in what they do at CCS – these are the women that work with not only the volunteers on a daily basis but also work at the placements. These women are the ones making a long lasting difference in people’s lives; volunteers on the other hand only make a temporary difference at these placements. These are truly committed individuals that I cannot thank enough for opening up their arms to me and allowing me into their world, country and home!

At my last feedback session with CCS, I was asked what my general thoughts were about Russia. Like I stated before, there is so much to be said, but I would say “Russia is like a diamond in the ruff and with time it will begin to sparkle.” I hope during my lifetime, I will be around to see Russia once it does begin to sparkle in all its glory.

Overall, my experiences in Russia were Amazing, and I could not have had a better experience in Russia. By immersing myself in its culture and working with all varieties of people (kids, elderly, and disabled), I truly feel I have a better understanding of Russia’s nature. (A nature that is misunderstood in the US)

On a special note, I can’t thank my sponsors enough for their support, because without them I would not be here! Thank you!!

1 comment:

  1. Becky,
    Your journey has been amazing - not just for you but those of us who are following your journey. Your pictures and videos have brought us all closer to your first hand experiences. Thank you for letting us be a part of your incredible trip. See you in about a month.
    Berta

    ReplyDelete