Saturday, April 10, 2010

Side Trip to Denmark

After a seven hour plane ride from Minneapolis to Amsterdam, a one hour flight to Copenhagen and then a five hour train trip to my final destination, Aarhus; not to mention the countless hours of in-between time, I had arrived! Hooray! I just could not take another plane or train!

My friend, Nicole, met me at the train station, which was a relief, but then again, she wouldn’t leave me stranded to find her apartment by myself!!

Technically speaking, I spent four full days in Denmark. Overall, I enjoyed my time in Denmark. I especially liked the cleanliness of the country. For example, the streets were without garbage and the appearance of the buildings and sidewalks were well kept. For me, this is a must have factor.

Day 1: Nicole and I bike around the city (Aarhus). During our bike ride:

  • Visited Te Queen's place in Aarhus and saw the changing of the guard.
  • Fed “Denmark’s” version of Deer
  • Visited Nicole’s favorite Bakery, which was scrumptious!! (Fresh baked bread)
  • Visited the resistance museum
  • Visited the bank, which discovered the remains of a Viking. The remains of the Viking are on display for all to see.
  • Visited Nicole’s school.

Day 2: Nicole, Mads (Nicole’s boyfriend) and I took a side trip to the countryside. I can’t say that I remember the names of the towns we visited.

  • Toured a war ship that was converted for the use of the Danish King.
  • Toured a typical manor home of a Danish Lord. However, the home is only used for touring now.
  • Then, Mads made me a traditional Danish meal. However, I couldn't tell you what everything was, which in a sense is a good thing. My favorite “dish” was a Danish rye bread that consisted of herring with an egg salad topping and onion. Random, but Yum.

Day 3: Nicole and I then left for Copenhagen! If you look on a map, Aarhus is on a different land mass than Copenhagen. So, we took the ferry over.

  • We pretty much walked around and explored Copenhagen.
  • Visited the Crowned Prince’s renovated palace. Interesting! The Prince and his wife tried to make the palace modern using colors and drawings to fit in with the regality of the palace itself. Failure!!

Day 4: Explored more of Copenhagen.

  • In Denmark, having Brunch on the weekends is a big deal. In a way it is like America’s Brunch, but obviously with different types of food. The brunch we had was quite good. However, the only difference is Denmark offers salmon or some sort of fish dish with the brunch as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment