Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Now to Yaroslavl

My plane landed in Moscow; however, my program is located in Yaroslavl (Ярославль, pronounced Ya-ro-sla-val) The city of Yaroslavl is located north of Moscow and east of St. Petersburg. During my four and a half bus ride from Moscow to Yaroslavl, I made the following observations (and assumptions):

  • The countryside is rather desolate looking. However, the winters are harsh, especially this past winter.
  • The rural communities are run-down or abandoned.
  • The homes are deteriorating or out-right abandoned. However, I noticed Russians decorate their home’s windows with intricate carvings, which I find intriguing, because at one time, I’m assuming, the owners of these homes once took pride in their home’s appearance.
  • The area is plagued with litter.
  • No type of greenery
  • No lawns with flowers
  • No sprawling backyards
  • The roads are filled with potholes.
  • The driving, well I just shut my eyes after awhile and hope I’ll make it to my destination in one piece.

After my initial ride from Moscow to Yaroslavl, I thought what the hell did I get myself into! How can I live/survive in this environment (environment being Russia in general)? But in all situations, you have to give it a fair shake before making any type judgment. I can at least be impartial.

2 comments:

  1. This is how I feel when I arrive in Russia! Did you know that the Russian landscape is famous for being bleak and meager? Have you seen birch tree forests? I think those are quite beautiful. I saw little houses with windows like those. They are a very old traditional design. A friend told me that the window is a stylized version of the female form. Yeah. I don't get it either. I see that I have fallen behind in following your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did not know that Russia was famous for their bleak and meager landscape!! I would definitely concur with that NOW!

    We have taken a few cultural trips out of the city, and the forests are beautiful! It is nature at it's finest! Next time we take an excursion out of the city, I will take a few photos to add to the blog.

    Intersting factoid about the windows. After hear that, it still escapes me! But none the less, interesting windows.

    ReplyDelete