Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Volunteering

At this point in my blog, I'm sure you are wondering what I actually do in Russia.

On Monday, Tuesday and Thursday, I go to two placements for about 2.5 hours each. Once I am at the placement, the volunteer presents the appropriate craft for the specific placement. For example at the Hospital for Women we made butterflies and then at the Hospital for Kids we made a volcano because of the Volcano that erupted in Iceland. For each placement the craft needs to be appropriate.

On Wednesday, I only go to the placement in the morning and then in the afternoon I go on a cultural excursion.

On Friday, again I only do a morning placement and then in the afternoon is a Workshop to plan the next weeks crafts.

During the week, I have two Russian lessons with Olga, a translator.

Also, at each placement there is at least one interrupter with us.

I'm sure you are wondering why I would be making crafts and playing games. In Russia, they believe that using your hands, which in turn keeps a person's mind active. As for the games, it provides social skills or creates an interaction with people who otherwise not have any.

Here are the Placements that I have been to so far:

  • Hospital for Kids
  • Hospital for Women
  • Leninsky disabled
  • Kirovsky City Camp
  • Leninsky Disabled
  • Frunzensky elderly
  • School #45
After reading what I do at these various placements may seem useless and even boring, but to these people at the placements, volunteers are everything to them. When I walk into a room, these people know my name, want a hug, or just to say hello to them means the world to them. It's an eye opening experience to see how someone else lives or how a country's system works.

No comments:

Post a Comment