Saturday, April 10, 2010

The Russian Adventure Begins

I have finally arrived in Russia!! After six months of preparation, I am finally HERE!! When I got off the plane, I initially felt a bit of anxiety. It finally hit me; I was in a whole other world as compared to the USA. In a way, to me, that is rather daunting. I truly did not know what to expect of Russia. Growing up, I was always conscious of the fact that American’s had a negative perception of Russia - Russia was the same old Communist country and not a progressive country in the new era.

Subsequently, due to this “American” mentality, I came to Russia with an “Open” mind without any type of expectations. I want to judge Russia for what it is, and not what Russia should be or what I thought Russia should be. At the end of my time in Russia, I then believe I can make a fair assessment of Russia.


Would you confirm or deny my characterization of America’s perception of Russia? Let me know!

3 comments:

  1. I'll be interested to know what you do make of Russia. Our perception is pretty much what you said; KGB, and all that. There is so much history as well. I am sure today's Russia is so very different now.

    Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy to hear that you have arrived safely in Russia, Becky! Enjoy the culture and the diverse people and share what you learn along the way! I'm excited to learn more about Russia through your eyes!

    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  3. At the present moment, I am still unsure as to what to think about Russia. In some instances, I have the American mentality of the KGB, yet it is a developing nation that in time will be a nation to watch.

    For example, our director recommends that a volunteer carry around a copy of his or her passport which includes our picture id and visa id.

    On the other hand, Yaroslavl is in the process of updating (building) it's city to a modern idea.

    ReplyDelete